Tuesday, September 7, 2010

A BBQ chef is born

Dear Bobby Flay,
As I attempt to channel your skills on the BBQ, Iwill from time to time share my experiences with the Facebook public. Much like the movie , my plan to to go through your cookbook "Boy Gets Grill" from cover to cover.
I cooked for Labor Day with much help from my family. I made a Charred Corn Guacamole, Grilled Asparagus and rice with Goat Cheese and Spicy Black Olive Vinaigrette. For the main course, I made a Butterflied Chicken with Rosemary-Lemon-Garlic Oil, Parmesan and Black Pepper.
Lessons I learned--- It takes a lot longer to cook 1 6 lb butterflied chicken than two 3 lb chickens ( Allie had to eat and run to catch her flight!). If your family is not a fan of olives, no matter how much you puree them, they wont eat it. If you back off the serrano peppers in the guacamole, then you need less lime. Still the guacamole was very tasty and the chicken was excellent; moist and flavorful. Finally, learning to cook with an indirect flame on the grill and temperature control continue to be a challenge.
I am learning to Roast peppers, garlic, toast spices, nuts and chiles this week. Until next time
David

No comments:

Post a Comment