Monday, September 20, 2010

I like touching my meat on the grill

Dear Bobby,

It wasn't the recipes that I was paying attention to this weekend, but the skills needed to grill. The little things like a little olive oil on the quesadilla so they don't stick to the grill. De-silking the corn but keeping the corn covered by the husk so that the kernels don't burn. Finally, learning how to make a hamburger.

All the things that I used do wrong, flipping the burger 5 or 6 times, squeezing the patty so all the juice runs out. Cutting the meat with a knife to see if its done. Wrong,Wrong Wrong.

It takes a little getting used too, learning to poke cooking meat with your finger to gauge how its doing. What one considers firm, what one considers spongy varies. Since the meat patties are of different sizes, they cook differently as well. Learning how to slow the cooking of one down also takes a little bit of practice.

Had a wonderful weekend of visiting with close friends(family really), watching football, sitting outside by the kitchen and enjoying a very nice South Florida Day!

So, I made some quesadillas, quickly on the grill and they went quick. Did corn on the grill, which also went. Finally, cheeseburgers on the grill--- I turned them once, poked them with my finger for doneness and never squeezed them with the spatula--- they came out pretty good!

You have some wonderful recipes in your book, "Boy Gets Grill" and they can be pretty complicated and a little esoteric. Still, a simple meal cooked properly can really make a good day great.

By the way, while not officially grilling, you have some drink recipes in the beginning of the book that I have started to make. My Mojito recipe is a little different from yours, but the ladies enjoyed them!! For those who are reading the blog, let me know if you want the recipe!

Gonna start working on grilling vegetables in the next week or two. Since I am not a big vegetable eater, this is going to require that I expand my palate abit. Will see how it goes.
Until later

David

No comments:

Post a Comment